1st class riffs and musings

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Blue Monday

Of course, it's Wednesday. But the 4th has caught up with me - just enough family and food; just enough help; too much rain, too much thinking about our growing lack of freedom.

The last time I remember it being this bad -'the McCarthy era' I was in college. We were studying debate and our proposed topic was "resolved: the United States should recognize Red China." No one volunteered to take the affirmative - Because we were an engineering school and every person there was afraid they would jeapordize their future security clearance. (I volunteered.)

This is how the atmosphere is polluted by the climate in Washington. I notice that not only are they recognized (and are still a freedom-supressing country) but they also own a significant amount of the United States. This despite the China Lobby.

About that time I started my favorite cliche and I fight against it always. I said, "You can too fight City Hall. City Hall just doesn't notice." I have been fighting City Hall all my life. They haven't noticed yet.

I've shifted my resistance to three areas: the crisis in environmental sustainability; the severe loss of social justice and our sadly shrinking spiritual fulfillment. I constantly see a ferocious competition where what's at stake is the quality of life and survival of our planet. But I have a hard time defining the other combatants because I can't understand who can be against this.

Who would choose their personal well-being at the cost of our planet's?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home