1st class riffs and musings

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Becoming a Radical

I first became a radical in the late 60s - a combination of factors - the Viet Nam War and the across the board serious (still-existing) splits in the country: civil rights, native american rights, women's lib, student newspapers, and many, many more - music, haircuts, comics, grey panthers, black panthers, people's radio..... What makes a radical? You start by changing your thinking on at least one thing and then you build on that... But what finally speaks is the action you take - they speak you. For me the action was my joining Computer People for Peace - being in peaceful demonstrations. It took me a while to feel that it was ok to not be arrested. Then we moved and Nancy and I completely turned over our lifestyle.

Why do I say this? I have spent 32 years trying to re-adjust to this era. But I've become a radical again. I'm moving again - and for similar reasons. I won't fully accept the system the way it has become. I am committed to making my voice about this louder and my use of the environment smaller and smaller.

The time has come for us to get that it's up to us. We have the power and we only need the will to accomplish anything. We only need to know we can and that we can join with others in the doing. The trick is to know we can make it work and not think we're an 'us' against 'them.' We only have to make the distinction 'the future' versus 'the present.'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home