1st class riffs and musings

Monday, August 08, 2005

I Don’t Have Anything to Say

I have a client who today confessed that he had writer’s bloc when it came to his BLOG. My coaching was that he sit down and write, “I don’t have anything to say,” and to go on from there. You see, one of the things I’ve noticed is that writing doesn’t take place in our heads (editing does). If anything, getting stuck in our heads is what stops writing. Writing takes place in the fingers…at least in my fingers.

It’s amazing what I seem to store up in there. Today they want to talk about deep, deep love.

My best friend came for dinner with his wife the other night. I introduced them when she was 14 and we were college freshmen together – over 50 years ago. And she has Alzheimers.

A spark of life shines in her eyes once in a (long) while. She knows us – by inference. Over the years (she started showing symptoms perhaps 18 years ago) her condition has continually worsened and, of course, will continue to worsen. Recently she fell and since then she can barely walk; she shuffles. A list of her symptoms can only sadden and upset you. But I want to talk about my friend.

He has transformed himself from the most dependent chauvinistic husband into a fully responsible man. He does everything to care for his business and his home and his wife. When I say everything, I mean everything. There is no longer any reciprocation – it’s a foolish concept. It’s not the 50-50 we pretend to want. He demonstrates 100-0.

Love requires nothing. It feeds him and it nurtures him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home